Sunday 9 February 2014

The Treatment @ 02 Academy Islington, London 07/02/2014


Pure classic rock and roll is the phrase I would use to describe my night at London’s O2 Academy in Islington featuring some of the greatest British upcoming rock bands!

The night started off with a brassy howl from London rockers The Howling. They just started playing as I walked into the academy that evening and I was instantly taken with their energetic stage presence with some destructive elements, such as slamming the microphone down onto the floor. Their studio like sound when performing live certainly went down with the crowds and members of the audience headbanging showed this within the first few minutes of their set. A great band to kick off the show, their spectacular live performance only reinforces the positive feedback received from familiar names such as Kasabian’s Tom Meighan.



Main support Cage The Gods have certainly been making a name for themselves in the past year and their performance from Islington Academy is vital evidence as to why they were featured in Classic Rock as one of the bands to watch out for. Starting off with an atmospheric introduction leading into the song Badlands that received a more than welcoming reception from the crowds Cage The Gods were well under way. As their set continued, the band’s infectious energy circulated around the venue particularly via the songs Sacrifice and Favourite Sin. All I can say is keep an eye out for these talented rockers, their new album Badlands will be out soon!


I was very excited about seeing headliners The Treatment! As you’d have seen from a previous blog post their new album hit the shelves last week and I really enjoyed it. When the lights went down I could feel the eagerness and anticipation build up in the venue as they awaited the Cambridge rockers. The set got off to an explosive start with single I Bleed Rock And Roll that most certainly got a unquestionably enthusiastic reception from the crowds. The Treatment most certainly know how to take care of their fans as they included an eclectic selection of songs in their set that seemed to really Get The Party On (see what I did there?). 


The songs that highlighted their set for me were Emergency, Just Tell Me Why and Nothing To Loose (But Our Minds). Emergency is my personal favourite song on the new album Running With The Dogs, singing and dancing along to the song put the biggest smile on my face. I hadn’t heard Just Tell Me Why performed live for a long time and when I heard the first few notes played I felt very warm inside. Nothing To Loose just provided the perfect end to a brilliant set as everyone swayed their arms to and fro.



So as a whole, the night was excellent. It provided us a rare opportunity to see front man type energy from every band and I look forward to the next time they tour!


Words by Charlotte Whittingham and Dan Leigh

Find The Howling on Facebook, Twitter and their official website
Find Cage The Gods on Facebook, Twitter and their official website
Find The Treatment on Facebook and Twitter 

No comments:

Post a Comment