Sunday 22 September 2013

The Distorting Glass

We are getting a taste of heavy rock and electronic beats cleverly merging into one with this recently released EP from London based The Distorting Glass.

The first two tracks provide a brilliant introduction to the bands music. Variance is a fantastic opening track for the EP as you get your first taste of memorable guitar riffs and incredible vocal work. Imagine Muse meeting Rammstein and you get the incredible, cinematic sounds of The Distorting Glass. Kilometre Zero is very different sounding to Variance; it allows you to take a break from the distortion of the heavy guitars in exchange for acoustic strums. It has a very summery vibe but I like how it also maintains a dark atmosphere.

My personal favourite track on the EP has got to be The City That Always Sleeps, the melody for this song is just beautiful and I was blown away instantly at first listen. I also think the song shows off vocalist Pablo Bellinghausen’s ability perfectly; this provides a softer side to the band that I like very much.

Clockwork is a brilliantly dark track that is very cinematic, I would love to see this track performed live as I believe the clock like sound effects will go down perfectly with audiences. This track most certainly goes onto my list of one-word epic tracks alongside Mountains by Biffy Clyro and Alter Bridge’s Blackbird.

Fear and Wonder closes the album excellently with its Mission Impossible type vibe and infectious melody making it stand out track number two.

From listening to this EP I can conclude that this band most certainly have the potential to go further up the music ladder. Definitely a band to keep a look out for, all I can say is that I hope they decide to visit Southampton sometime.

Words by Charlotte Whittingham

R.I.Y.L:   Muse, Rammstein and Rush

Stand out tracks:  The City That Always Sleeps, Clockworks and Fear and Wonder


Find The Distorting Glass on Facebook


No comments:

Post a Comment