Sunday 6 April 2014

BLOODSTOCK’S METAL TO THE MASSES – BOURNEMOUTH HEAT 1

METAPRISM, KAHTET AND TERROR DRONE
THE ANVIL, BOURNEMOUTH 04/04/2014
Words by Charlotte Whittingham

It most certainly wasn’t a silent night at The Anvil as the first heat of Bloodstock’s Metal To The Masses competition conquered Bournemouth. Since I am heading to Bloodstock again this year I wanted to see for myself which new bands would be likely to be playing the festival.

Bloodstock’s Metal To The Masses competition takes place all over the UK in order to find the newest sounds in metal to play on the New Blood Stage for Britain’s Best Independent metal festival Bloodstock. It’s an amazing opportunity for metal bands since it provides the chance to be on the same bill with some of metal's giants such as this year's headliners Megadeth, Down and Emperor. Also many venues and promoters in the UK and overseas support this scheme.

The band that kicked off this night of metal was Gosport Thrash/Speed metallers Terror Drone. I must admit when I first heard their sound I was quite sceptical as I felt the 80s metal style screams didn't really fit with their music. As I went downstairs to watch their set however the sound started to grow on me; their sound reminded me of Dragonforce and they definitely had a great relationship with the crowd. Overall a good live set.

Progressive metal heads Kahtet were up next. I am not usually very keen on this kind of metal but I was very impressed with the Salisbury based band. Their music provided an almost chilled out vibe to the evening so I can imagine their music settling well with the Bloodstock crowd. They are definitely a talented bunch of musicians, especially drummer Ben Coley whose arms seemed to have a mind of their own when beating those drums. A brilliant set from Kahet overall.

Last to the stage were Bournemouth/Poole six piece metal band Metaprism. Since releasing their EP last year they have become well established with their local metal community and I had been meaning to catch their live show for quite some time so Friday night provided the ideal opportunity. From the word go Metaprism owned the room. Jut Tabor’s harsh growls/clean vocals and Theresa Smith’s beautiful singing harmonised perfectly throughout each and every song.  From the brutal mosh pits to the fantastic riffs and solos provided by guitarists Ollie Roberts and Jimmy Alford Metaprism’s set had everything you could want at a metal show. The audience’s enthusiasm for the band was further demonstrated when they demanded Metaprism perform one more song before marking the end of the successful set.

A great night and equally brilliant sets from each of the bands, at this moment I am unsure who will win this heat but all will be revealed soon.

Find Metaprism on Facebook
Find Kahet on Facebook

Find Terror Drone on Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment