Friday 25 April 2014

Interview: James Walsh - Wyrdforge


Photo Credit:  Ryan Penny
"There are no rules in metal in my humble opinion." - James Walsh, Wyrdforge

With an impending festival appearance tomorrow and a new album release it's all going on for Brighton Extreme Metal four piece Wyrdforge. I had the chance to chat to frontman James Walsh about these topics and how he would love to have a metal band write songs about Crash Bandicoot.

Charlotte:  Describe your sound in three words.

James:  Not sure if I can describe it in three words, but in my humble opinion it's like if Dismember and Entombed met Napalm Death along with Extreme Noise Terror in some kind of genre splicing machine, like they do in The Fly, and fused together. I'm sure the others will disagree with me, resulting in them throwing KFC at me or something. 


Charlotte:  Where did the name Wyrdforger come from?

James:  The name I ripped off from a Brian Bates book called "The Way of the Wyrd" because I thought it sounded cool with the word Forge before it. Along with listening to a stupid amount of Sabbath and Wodensthrone at the time I came up with it. I guess I was feeling the old English vibe.

Charlotte:  So tell our readers why they should come down to see you perform alongside other metal acts at Southampton's Annihilation Festival tomorrow?

James:  They should come and see us because we have songs about Metroid, Neon Genesis Evangelion and other silly manga/comic book related subjects. It will fulfil their lives and make them better, if not sweater people by the time we're done pulverising their ears with very fast music.

Charlotte:  Since we're talking festivals, I would like you to imagine your ideal festival. Who would be your three main headliners, three main support acts and what would your festival be called?

James:  That's a tricky one. I don't think I can answer that question if I had to be honest. I like far too many bands. So it would very hard to pick just six to play. I'd probably call it "I have no idea what I'm meant to be doing, so can somebody help me please fest"

Charlotte:  You've recently released physical copies of your album, what was the inspiration behind the album cover?

James:  The only inspiration for the EP artwork is the title track "Her Wings Unfold War" which is the bat monster wearing a gas mask in the middle of the picture. The rest is a load of random ideas I had at the time. There's never really any set ideas for when I do the band artwork. It's just me going off on one and hoping it looks good.

Charlotte:  Just to round up and finalise, have you got advice you wish to give anyone wanting to start their own metal band?

James:  Do what you want, write about what you want. There are no rules in metal in my humble opinion. I have still have to find a metal who will write songs exclusively about Crash Bandicoot or Appleseed. Can somebody please get on that? Either that or a whole grindcore album about Blade Runner.

Catch James and his band Wyrdforge tomorrow at Southampton's Annihilation Festival. There will be copies of their album on sale too. In the meantime check out their links below!


No comments:

Post a Comment