Saturday 20 August 2011

In Darklight EP Launch @ The Clapham Grand; London 19/8/2011

I mentioned in a post Thursday that I was seeing In Darklight at the biggest venue they have played at so far; I was very happy to be part of something special. They helped me a lot getting my blog know to the vast public and I was really happy to be at The Clapham Grand in London. I had never set foot in Clapham before; due to recent riots happening there I was a bit nervous entering Clapham, but realising the venue was opposite the train station I calmed down. 


The venue itself was spectacular; it looked very much like a Victorian Theatre with, what I call, Beauty and the Beast chandeliers, wonderfully vintage furniture and a grand stage for the bands to play. A classic vintage venue that contains the odd modern features such as the bar. Reminded me of the 02 academy in Bournemouth only a bit bigger, would definitely coming back to this venue again. As well as In Darklight's EP launch; there was some more bands in the line up with them. Shoot The Dead, Luke Girvan and headlining band Melic.



Shoot The Dead were a great opening act to introduce the night of rock and roll; I really liked their melodies and music. Lead vocalist Andi Berthiaume had amazing vocal pipes; it's fantastic to hear a powerful voice accompanied by some awesome tunes played by some extremely talented musicians. There were some particular parts of their songs that did remind me of Pendulum and that was a great highligt. They played a fantastic set and I do hope to see/hear more from them.


Find Shoot The Dead on Facebook, Twitter and their official website.


Singer/songwriter Luke Girvan kept up the fantastic reputation the southern coast of England has for upcoming talent via his mind blowing performance last night. His catchy, upbeat melodies were just enough to get a few of us dancing on the huge dance floor right near the stage; that means he is in my good books already. All I can say to this talented musician is keep up the good work; hope he visits Southampton sometime.


Find Luke Girvan on Facebook, Twitter and his official website


Ever since seeing In Darklight a year ago support London hard rockers New Device I had been watching as many shows from them in the past year and their debut album Dying To Confess was one of my albums of 2010. Last night was the launch for their brand new self titled EP; they could not have picked a better venue to do it at. Talking to the guys it's their biggest venue they have played at and they did a superb job. A lot of the songs they performed I recognised from their new EP, including my favourite Break and ending it on The Police classic Message In A Bottle. I will also add it was their friend's birthday celebration where the theme was English gentlemen; they made their contribution to the theme on stage that I can say top notch to. I am sure that last night's show will mark a huge stepping stone for their music career.


Find In Darklight on Facebook, Twitter and their official website


I very much liked Melic's laid back approach to music; sort of a happy go lucky vibe that I think may have been endorsed by the upbeat, feel good songs these guys produced. A lot of the songs they performed last night could easily be seen on early morning music programme Freshly Squeezed where their song would be their Tune Of The Day. Melic show that funk, rock and acoustic can be blended together to create a unique sound that is sure to turn heads in the music industry.


Find Melic on Facebook, Twitter and their official website


Overall a fantastic night out; I am very glad I travelled to London to hear these new and original sounding bands that will, I hope, make it big in the music business one day. Also wish In Darklight the best of luck with their brand new EP that is now available to purchase.

No comments:

Post a Comment