Sunday 22 December 2013

Top 5 Singles of 2013

Welcome to the second installment of the end of year post! So far I have shown you my top five albums of 2013 and now onto top five singles! Before I go further with the post I would first like to say that I picked five incredible songs and it was so tricky to put these in order of preference!

5) Katy Perry - Roar

Kicking off the top 5 with a roar is Katy Perry’s single…well Roar. It's not the usual rock or metal song I go for but for me this single was a highlight of 2013. Empowering lyrics and a catchy melody are the two components needed for the perfect pop hit. It also seems to show the growth of Katy Perry herself as she been through quite a lot in the past year or so.





4) Avril Lavigne feat. Chad Kroeger – Let Me Go 

At number four is the single Let Me Go by newly weds Avril Lavigne and Chad Kroeger. I must admit I was very sceptical when I heard these two were going to release a single together. I’m very happy to say that I was proved wrong in this case; captivating use of the piano, the haunting lyrics and the beautiful harmony between Avril’s and Chad’s voices completes the song! The thirteen year old inside me is squealing with joy that my two favourite artists growing up have collaborated.



3) New Device – Save Your Life

Coming in at number 3 is the single Save Your Life by New Device. It was very refreshing to here some brand new material from the London rockers after a three-year gap. I remember first hearing this on Voice.FM and feeling warm inside within the first few seconds of the song. From the familiar clean crisp vocals provided by charismatic front man Dan Leigh to the original riffs and solos delivered by Matt Mallery and Nick Jones, Save Your Life has all the crucial features of a perfect rock song.




2) Within Temptation feat. Tarja – Paradise (What About Us?)                        

At number 2 is the sing Paradise (What About Us?) by Within Temptation featuring Tarja Turunen. When I first heard these two were going to do a single together I was very excited and I had every right to. Sharon Den Adel and Tarja’s beautiful voices complemented each other to create a strikingly moving song with a chorus that gives me goose bumps every time. If these are the kind of songs that we will hear on the new album then I think we don’t have to worry.





1) Shinedown – I’ll Follow You       

Finally my number one single of 2013 is I’ll Follow You by Shinedown. I was really excited to hear about the release of this song! After hearing it at their live show in Southampton in 2012 and listening to it again of the album I realised how profound this song is. With deeply thought lyrics and an enchanting melody to complete it I’ll Follow You has become a favourite single of mine. It doesn’t matter how many times I listen to the single it continues to blow me away each time. The reason why it is my number one single of 2013 is because it reminds me of some happy times; particularly when they performed this at Wembley Arena to 12,000 adoring fans as they sang along! That is an experience I will not be forgetting any time soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment