Tuesday 5 November 2013

Voice FM Halloween Party

NEW DEVICE
TOXIC SHOCK, EVERLONG AND BASECAMP
THE TALKING HEADS, SOUTHAMPTON 30/10/2013

Things were certainly spooky at the Voice FM Halloween Party featuring some ghoulishly great music from four fantastic bands!

First up were rockers Basecamp, I was surprised to walk into the stage area to find out how young they were. As well as performing some fantastic covers of well-known songs such as Firework and Still Into You, they performed some of their own material. Writing good songs is no easy task yet they pulled it off so well.  Finding out from manager Andy Ayres that they were all aged between ten-twelve was also remarkable. Overall, a brilliant set from Basecamp!

Everlong were next up! Their stage presence instantly got the crowds attention, what was brilliant about this crowd is that it reminded me of college where I would go see a friend’s band at The Talking Heads with a lot of my best friends and classmates. I really liked their sound and how they got their crowds going, their passion for their music was clear in their performance and I really think they could go further up the music ladder.

I am familiar with the kick ass rock tunes and energetic stage presence from the main support act Toxic Shock. This one was no exception, I found myself head banging to the songs and blown away by their live show. Particularly when frontman Ash Lynhurst got down from the stage and sung his heart out on the floor amongst the crowd.  Toxic Shock are a vital example of why we should support local music, they are simply fantastic and they are right on your doorstep.

I had not seen headliners New Device for a good few years until Wednesday evening; in between I had seen frontman Dan Leigh’s solo acoustic, which I have praised before in my blog for being fantastic. From Wednesday’s show I can confirm they are back and mean business! Starting off with Make My Day and On Fire made me smile as the familiar modern classic rock songs were starting to fill the venue.  What was also exciting about their set was the new songs from their latest album, Here We Stand; singles Save Your Life and Here We Stand were very well received by the very energetic crowd. 

Ending with their anthemic hit Takin Over allowed the crowd to have one last mosh before marking the end of a successful set.

Overall the experience of the Voice FM Halloween party was just amazing!


Words by Charlotte Whittingham

Find Basecamp here
Find Everlong here
Find Toxic Shock here
Find New Device here

No comments:

Post a Comment