Tuesday 13 September 2011

Top 10 Live Shows of 2011: 10-6

I did go and see a lot of bands this year all over the south of England (mainly Southampton). Here is my first part of the top ten; click the title to read the full gig review.

10. In Darklight EP launch @ The Clapham Grand; London 19/8/2011

This was possibly the biggest event for Andover three piece alternative/experimental rock band In Darklight; I remember them telling this was their biggest venue they have played at so far and they did a fantastic job. Their new EP was being released too so I think this was a fantastic way to promote it; it was my first time visiting The Clapham Grand so it was a very exciting experience for me. 

Find In Darklight on Facebook, Twitter and their official website

9. Open Mic night @ The Royal Oak; Southampton 30/10/2011

This was a fantastic opportunity to see just in store what Southampton had to offer in terms of new talent; this particular day was fantastic since it was the first time I got to see this in action. Seeing new talent from the likes of acoustic four piece Simon Says with their happy go lucky tunes that make the world want to join together in song to some hilarious antics from hosts Neil and Mario dressed as two very good looking ladies The Royal has it all. It is described as the ultimate student local and I can definitely see why.

Find The Royal Oak on Facebook and their official website
Find Simon Says on Facebook and Twitter

8. Die So Fluid @ The Talking Heads; Southampton 5/3/2011

I will definitely describe this show as a night of industrial metal madness; I also became a fan of two new bands that really just blew me away. Dreams Divide providing something original and fresh, Killing For Company giving us something that is easy on the ears and Die So Fluid giving a show stopping performance as the headlining act. That night enforced my love for industrial metal.


Find Die So Fluid on Facebook and their official website


7. Daniel Leigh Solo @ The Cellar; Southampton 28/1/2011

Daniel Leigh's beautiful acoustic set was part of an Angry Badger showcase along with other great acts featuring Kodiak Jack and We Caught The Castle. This was the first time me watching Dan without his band New Device and it really emphasised his unique voice. It was also fantastic to hear some new material from him too.

Find Daniel Leigh on FacebookTwitter and his official website



6. Sonata Arctica @ Sub89; Reading 24/3/2011

Sonata Arctica have been in my musical heart for about two years now ever since I listened to Finnish power metal; I really love how their lyrics are very poetic and they add some guitars to the mix to make a fantastic show. Their live performance showed their passion for their music and I love how they interacted with their fans. Performing a selection of songs from Replica to Flag In The Ground the Finnish metallers really know how to get a crowd going. I do hope to see them perform live again very soon.

Find Sonata Arctica on Facebook, Twitter and their official website

Well here is my first half of the top ten live shows; be sure to look out for the next half. 





No comments:

Post a Comment