Wednesday 16 November 2011

Turisas @ Southampton University; 15/11/2011

Eccentric Finnish folk metallers Turisas brought and fought the battle with the metal heads of Southampton.

Getting myself ready to go to Southampton Univeristy that consisted of dressing in a black and red combo, covering my face with black and red facepaint. I can tell you the reason for this; I was getting ready to see Finnish folk metal band Turisas for the first time and their colours are black and red. As soon as I got to the venue I got kitted out in my Turisas t-shirt I had just bought and was ready to take part in the night of heavy metal that was to be sprung onto me.

First band to play were fellow Finnish metallers Kiuas; I had only heard them briefly and liked their sound so I was looking forward to see what they brought to the stage.  They certainly were a great opening act for this night of metal; their charismatic stage prescence and passion was definitely a highlight for me. Kiuas are usually a five piece; their frontman was stuck in Finland so instead of cancelling their shows they carried on like true showmen and that was what I really admired about them. In the words of the very wise Freddie Mercury 'The show must go on'.

Find Kiuas on Facebook, Twitter and their official website

Taiwanese metallers Chtonic were up next to play; now not being the biggest fan of extreme metal I found these guys to be hypnotically incredible, bringing in oriental influences in the lyrics and music it gave Chtonic the mysteriously haunting vibe. It was amazing to see frontman Freddy Lim start to play a hena violin that arose a fantastic reaction; he also made a valid point that stuck with me for the rest of the night and that was no matter where you come from in the world that night was the night that metalheads unite together.

Find Chtonic on Facebook

The build up to the entrance of headliners Turisas was unbelievable; all over the venue fans started the call and response anthem Battle Metal whilst awaiting for them to conquer the stage. All of a sudden the lights went down; an intro piece of music was heard on the speakers and as the band members made their way onto to the stage the cheers got louder. Opening up with The March Of The Varangian Guard and performing it to the utmost perfection I could tell Turisas were well under way. I loved how they performed a mixture of material from Holmguard and Beyond to my personal favourite, Hunting Pirates, from the new album Stand Up and Fight. The violin solo half way through the set was so beautifully performed; with soft drums and piano in the background it was lovely to have a little break from the heavy music for a couple of minutes. Ending with Boney M cover of Rasputin and show stopper Battle Metal those were a clear indication Turisas gave us [the fans] exactly the show we had been asking for. From start to finish Turisas showed so much intensity, charisma, energy and passion in their performance; it spread amongst their fans as they showed the same kind of dedication for the band. That night with Turisas was one of the most fantastic experiences of my life and it has to be one of the best live shows I have seen so far.

Find Turisas on Facebook, Twitter and their official website

Tuomaslotte rates:  TTTTT

Words and photos by Charlotte Whittingham

No comments:

Post a Comment