Friday 20 May 2011

Heaven's Basement and Jettblack @ The Talking Heads; Southampton 19/5/2011

Hello people; it has been a while since I have posted. I have two exams next week so revision has been keeping me busy, but I was glad to take a break from it all last night. In the form of a trip to The Talking Heads in Southampton with my best friend Becca to see two of my new favourite rock bands Heaven's Basement and Jettblack co-headline. I had been looking forward to this gig for quite some time and was so glad I was going to be watching it with the nicest bunch of people ever. 

First up to play were Bournemouth rockers Western Sand; I had written a post about them recently saying how I loved their bluesy rock sound and it was amazing how they bought that to life during their live performance. They impressed me highly; the incredibly catchy melodies were enough to put a smile on my face and get the energy flowing through the crowd to start off a fantastic night of rock. A lovely bunch of guys too; very down to earth, I could have spoken to them for hours.


Find Western Sand on Facebook and MySpace

Counterpoint were next to play that very evening, I had only heard a sample of their music. I have to say their set made me wish I had listened to them a bit more; they performed a fantastic show, their songs were awesome and I bought an EP at the end. So you may see a post about that soon; they had a grungy, bluesy sound that I liked very much. Oh I also want to say I really love the colour of this guitar in the picture to your left, Jay Bartlett has a great taste. 


Find Counterpoint on their official website, Facebook, MySpace and Twitter


The first headliners Heaven's Basement were next to play; I was looking forward to seeing them last night as their music is incredible. My excitement built up as the roadies performed sound checks, then this weird sound was heard and the chants were heard from all over the venue 'BASEMENT BASEMENT BASEMENT'. A curtain was pulled back to reveal the members of Heaven's Basement as they opened with title track of their new EP Unbreakable that got the crowd absolutely pumping; from this I knew Heaven's Basement were well underway. 
Lead vocalist Aaron Buchanan's and guitarist Sid Glover's stage techniques were definitely crowd pleasers, my personal favourites being Sid putting the guitar behind his neck and playing and Aaron making a pathway across the crowd before breaking into my personal favourite Executioner's Day. Aaron recently joined the band and I think he did extremely well; giving a studio like performance of songs such as Tear Your Heart Out and Can't Let Go. I bought their brand new EP; which I did listen to a bit of whilst cooking dinner today, I shall listen to the whole thing and tell you what I think. They were very lovely guys when I chatted to them afterwards. Hope they come back to Southampton and blow me away like they did last night.


Find Heaven's Basement on their official website, Facebook, MySpace and Twitter


Last but by no means least Jettblack; I have seen Jettblack before back in December at The Joiners and was highly impressed by how they bought a stadium like presence to such a small venue. I am extremely happy to say they did that last night at The Talking Heads; they had a different setlist to December starting with show-stopper Two Hot Girls, it was actually great opening song. This new setlist definitely kept me on my toes as it was quite exciting when you didn't what song would be next; they performed my favourites from their debut album Get Your Hands Dirty such as the title track, Sleep and Not Even Love. They also threw in some new songs from their upcoming album that I am looking forward to very muchly. Their encore was incredible; ending with the 80s anthem Dangerzone and the song Holding as requested by their fans.
Where the almighty mosh pyramid was created once again but unfortunately my camera was in my bag at the front away from where I was standing. Luckily pictures of that pyramid where taken; I shall get a picture of that one day. I can honestly say that Jettblack impressed me once again, I hope they stop by in Southampton again and I look forward to the new album.


Find Jettblack on Facebook and Twitter


Overall a fantastic evening with top quality sets from each band; their interaction with the crowds was fantastic. I also loved the atmosphere in the room; so much love in the room and that definitely makes all the difference. A good atmosphere equals a fantastic time.

1 comment: