Sunday 1 May 2011

Video Showcase featuring Ancient Shamans @ The Railway; Winchester 30/4/2011

Last night I went to The Railway; a music venue in Winchester that I had never been to before. I stepped into the bar area and was immediately taken in by the cosy atmosphere, reasonably priced drinks and friendly staff. I was there to experience something completely new to do with the music industry. Next thing I knew we were heading into another room where the gigs take place and found there had been cameras setup, it was explained that this project had been planned for at least a year and the project was all about filming one song from each band which would then be put on some sort of showreel to be broadcast onto a website. I thought this was such a great idea; the music industry in the UK doesn't seem to want to take on young rock bands, even in the programme Orange and Unsigned it is always the rock and metal bands that kicked booted off in the first auditions. There should definitely be more support for local music in the UK and this is what the showreel is all about.


I was glad to be there last night; it was awesome rocking out to some of the best local sounds that Winchester and the south of England has to offer. It certainly makes me proud to be a southerner in the UK; Ancient Shamans were one of the bands that played last night, I saw them support Dear Superstar at The Joiners back in December and was impressed with the set. They also pulled off an amazing energy filled set; their sound is incredible, all fantastic musicians and I think their approach to music is very unique, there was a rocky vibe with a hint of native american type sounds. Hope to see them again soon.


Find Ancient Shamans on their official website, Facebook and MySpace


There was another band I was impressed with too; they were called Heinous Pianist. The singer had an amazing voice and the lead guitarist could play some slick solos. I would love to try and find the band's EP; their sound was so awesome, it seems to me old school metal sound is coming back and this band is proof along with many other bands I have seen and heard on the southern coast.


Find Heinous Pianist on Facebook, MySpace and Soundcloud 


I would have love to have stayed for the last two bands since I was having the time of my life rocking out to some of the greatest bands in one of the best atmospheres I have ever encountered at a gig.

No comments:

Post a Comment