Monday 28 February 2011

Turisas - Stand Up and Fight

Finnish battle metalheads Turisas, who made black and red facepaint look cool, released their fifth studio album Stand Up and Fight in the UK today so of course downloaded the pre-ordered copy from iTunes this morning to listen to on the train ride to university. I have to have beome a battle metal convert, I have never listened to anything like it before and I was amazed.

The March of the Varangian Guard - Having heard a snippet of this track on the trailer for this album I was deeply intriguied, I loved the dramatic orchestral work and choirs. This was definately a great opening for an outstanding album. 10/10

Take the Day! - This song started of with the same dramatic orchestral work, this song reminded me of Northern King's rendition of We Don't Need Another Hero. I also loved the growls in this song too, it could represent the battle cries. The bass rhythm is heard clearly too. 10/10

Hunting Pirates - This song may have just become a new favourite of mine; the piratey theme grabbed me here, I love the accordian and the piratey lyrics. The rhythm is very bouncy, memorable melody are the reasons this song just made me smile, I think this is the 6th time I have listened to this song today. It may just make it as Tuomaslotte's song of the week on Facebook. 10/10

Venetoil - Prasinoi - I really love the royal instrumental opening which then turns into a battle like situation. This often happens in epic fantasy films as it tells the story of a hero fighting a battle...I could be wrong but this is what I think, really liked it. 9/10

Stand Up and Fight - This song confused me slightly, the epic battle instrumental at the beginning which then leads to slow heartfelt singing. I loved the chourus in this song, making you feel part of an epic battle. 9/10

The Great Escape - The beginning of this song did at first remind me of Sweet classic Ballroom Blitz but then it turned all battly and was reassured. There is a very marchy rhythm to the song that I liked a lot, it's one of those songs that it would be impossible to sit still too. 10/10

Fear the Fear - This song was OK. Maybe the fact it was quite long put me off slightly, the vocalist sounds like Roy Khan here. Clear bass melody, I think this song may grow on me. 8/10

End of an Empire - I like the melody of this song, I think it marks the end of an epic battle that these crazy Finnish metal warriors fought and conquered. 9/10

The Bosphorus Freezes Over - A soft sad beginning of this track did touch me, it marks the aftermath of the battle. It shows a softer side to this band and I really liked this track. 10/10

Broadsword (Bonus track) - There is usually a hidden song from a band somewhere, on this album it is the bonus track. This song was pretty good, reminding of an adventurer on a quest with his mighty weapon the sword.

Overall this album is truly one sucessful battle that these metallers fought and conquered. Truly remarkable album and possibly the best one of 2011 so far. You can buy your copy now or it's availiable to listen to on MySpace.

Stand out tracks:  The March of the Varangian Guard, Hunting Pirates and The Great Metal




Here's my favourite on on the CD

Check their official website

Find them on Facebook, Twitter, MySpace and YouTube

No comments:

Post a Comment