Friday 8 July 2011

Gecko, The Fourth The Fifth and Wilf? at The Cellar; Southampton 7/7/2011

Last night I felt absolutely relieved to be going out; I have been out of uni for a couple of months now and being cooped up in the house most days like a caged bear with nothing to do. It was great to get out again.


First band to play were a band called What Is Life For? (a.k.a Wilf?); a lot of my college friends came to see them play and they were telling me great things about them. They got off to a great energetic start; a lot of the music was very uplifting. I hadn't actually heard them before until last night and they impressed me highly with their amazing music and interaction with the crowd. I had purchased an EP from them and you may see a post about them shortly.


The Fourth The Fifth were up next; a lot of their songs did get of to a catchy start. They had a Thin Lizzy like sound; they weren't my cup of tea but I recommend them to anyone who loves bands like Boston and Thin Lizzy. I felt something was missing from their performance so in my opinion the songs felt quite long. They had a great stage presence and great charisma.


I had heard some of Gecko's music before and loved the southern American rock sound to it. I couldn't stay for the entire set since I had to catch the last train back but I loved what I heard for the first segment of their set. Really enjoyable, upbeat melodies; I also loved the line up. Most of us are used to seeing a guitarist or bassist playing lead singer in a band but this time it was drummer Russ Diapper providing lead vocals. It's a great change to the usual line up.


Overall a great night; the warm lively atmosphere made it all worth while.


Find What Is Life For? on Facebook and MySpace
Find The Fourth The Fifth on Facebook and MySpace
Find Gecko on Facebook, MySpace, Reverbnation and their official website 

No comments:

Post a Comment