Monday 31 October 2011

Open Mic night @ The Royal Oak; Southampton 30/10/2011

Last night I entered The Royal Oak in Southampton for the first time; I always pass this pub but had never been in it. I really liked the warm homely atmosphere it gave and the moment you stepped in you felt welcome immediately as everyone shows such kindness. I was ready to enjoy some local music for an open mic night that some friends of mine were to take part in that night.


The first lot of musicians to play were the two hosts and their friends; being since it was Halloween hosts Neil and Mario took another identity in the form of Paris and Kim; they did look great dressed up as ladies. I loved how they made everybody feel at home and comfortable; Neil sang Moon River from Breakfast at Tiffanys and Titanic love theme My Heart Will Go On incredibly well. It gave off this loving vibe to me and my friends; we swayed and sang our hearts out along to a fantastic opening band last night. This gave me some indication that it was going to be a fantastic night.

Next up were a band called Simon Says; I know bass guitarist Rory Heap in the band so it was great to see his band in action. I really loved the happy sunshine sound these guys produced and a song about Peanut Butter Jelly just made me smile. Frontman Simon Tinmouth's unique, energetic stage presence intrigued me very much since I haven't seen stage techniques like it before and it really worked. I also loved their unique cover of Keisha's Tik Tok, would definitely like to watch them again very soon.

Find Simon Says on Facebook

An evening full of talented musicians and acts last night indeed; definitely increased my love for open mic nights. Also would like to mention Jamie Russell gave an excellent performance on his guitar and I've also got a CD from his band so expect to see a post about that very soon.

If you happen to be in the Southampton area on a Sunday please come to their open mic nights; you will not regret it at all, it's the place to be when you want to leave your troubles behind for the night.

Tuomaslotte rates it:  TTTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment