Saturday 29 January 2011

Rock The Loft @ The Soul Cellar; Southampton 28/1/11

I have been waiting for this since the end of last year; my first gig of 2011 and let me tell you it was a fantastic one. Entering the intimate cosy atmosphere of The Soul Cellar definately made me feel right at home for I was about to see what Angry Badger records had to offer plus see Daniel Leigh perform an acoustic set.

The first band to play that evening were We Caught The Castle, a pop punk band from Reading. They put a great performance with the catchy melodies and how Hollie's vocals harmonised well with male backing vocalists Simon and Robbie. I did recognise Tainted Love, the song they covered, from that Friends episode where Danny Devito plays a stripper so everytime I hear the song I give a little giggle. Overall an enjoyable set, I also got their EP to so you'll see a review about that shortly.

Up next were Bournemouth/London rockers Karmine, I had heard their stuff briefly before and quite liked it so I was wondering what kind of performance they were going to give tonight. I loved vocalist Charlotte (wonderful name) Kavanagh's energy with her wonderfully weird dancing whilst upbeat cheerful rock was played, her voice was remarkable too. They are currently working on the new album.

Orignally New Device were to headline tonight; however due to two guitarists leaving the band vocalist Daniel Leigh came by himself to play an acoustic set. I have seen acoustic sets in the past and like them a lot so I was thinking it would be nice to see. He started off with one of his own songs We Will Be Lovers Tonight, I had heard this song before with electronic type sounds to it; tonight I was absoulutely amazed by this performance. The set got better and better with songs from the new album he is working on with New Device; getting me more excited about their new album also performing In The Fading Light and Heaven Knows from Takin Over. His covers of Livin On A Prayer and Sweet Child 'O Mine were also beautifully performed; so amazing I got a video of one of them (will be uploaded soon). This acoustic performance was so so wonderful, had me nearly in tears and will definatelty see perform an acoustic set again.

Next to play were Timshel; I had seen them before and they do give a very upbeat  performance like they did  last night. I like their quirky sound very much, it gives a bit more of a laid back hippy like atmosphere to the building. I did recognise some of the songs played last night from their EP, which is avaliable on iTunes overall a very studio sounding performance.

Unfortunately couldn't stay for Kodiak Jack's set last night but did catch a glimpse from them and loved their energetic performance. I had heard some of their songs before and quite like them so I'm hoping to catch them again soon.

You can join each one of these bands on Facebook, MySpace, Twitter and YouTube. 

Overall a great first gig of 2011, giving me the torch to light the pathway of many more great gigs to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment