Sunday 21 November 2010

Angry Badger Records is Universally Challenged 20/11/10

I was very much looking forward to this event; my main intention was to see In Darklight, who I had seen before and have become really good friends with. Southampton based Indie Rock record company, Angry Badger Records, has bred some fresh up coming rock bands from the south such as Timshel and Kodiak Jack. This event took place at the student union bar at my university so it was in a familiar envrionment where I didn't feel claustrophobic and a generally intimate, friendly atomosphere made me feel at home.

First up were In Darklight, who never fail to impress me with kick ass riffs and indie boy vocals did me proud once again. Starting the set off with songs I assume may be on the new upcoming EP, I could wrong in that department, one of which I had in my head all week; it reminds me of one my favourite songs by punk rockers Cobra Starship. They also earn Brownie points for performing my personal favourite off their debut album What's Happening? Speaking of personal favourites, I found a new one last night in the form of the song Break. I just love how bouncy the melody is and the lyrics are cleverly written.


Lost Morals were next to play, I recognised lead vocalist Jono Powell from the New Device gig at The Soul Cellar. I remember it was just him on his own since his band were called in at the last minute but he mangaged to pull it off by himself. Anyways last night it was great seeing him with his band Lost Morals, some of the songs I could have sworn I have heard on the radio before. Songs Get Down and She's A Policeman may have been my favourites, I really loved the poetical metaphor of She's A Policeman; a clever way to write about nosy exes :D In Darklight brothers Ben and Lou Sellers mentioned that they sounded like The Jam and Jono had Paul Wellar look about him; I immediately agreed, I could hear Paul Wellar's voice. I bought their EP afterwards, expect to see a post about it soon.


Pompey rockers Moody Tuesday were the next of Angry Badgers finest to play, they very much reminded me of The Who. One of their opening songs made me think of Pinball Wizard, one of my personal favourite songs ever so I was feeling quite excited. I had recieved invites to see them play in local places, which I may attend after seeing an enjoyable set from them last night. There was also a hint of classic rock and roll with a hint of modern day indie, a bit like The Who mixing with Radiohead. There will be an album release as well which you will see me buy :)

http://www.myspace.com/moodytuesdayhttp://www.myspace.com/moodytuesday

The last to play were The Rising, unfortunately I could only catch one song by this band since I had to catch the last train home so I couldn't stay for the whole set. I saw on their page they have an Oasis like sound and I found that description to be accurate after hearing the song on Cloud Nine, but I'll have a better insight of their music once I hear their EP.


http://www.myspace.com/therisingbanduk

Despite a few techinal problems with the sounds, the bands all played very very well and showed Angry Badger records has great new talent to offer. I must confess I used my own noggin to write this today, without notes. Last night I made the vital mistake a journalist should never make; leaving my Blackberry which I use to take notes about gigs and albums....well it's better then carry a big chunky notebook and it's more convient. Luckily I have quite a good memory :) 







 jhyg

No comments:

Post a Comment