Tuesday 23 November 2010

Skunk Anansie - Wonderlustre

I listened to this album as I did my morning errands before heading off to univeristy today. The first thing that caught my attention was Skin's bluesy sounding vocal work; it was like nothing I had heard before and that was one of the main highlights of this album. Songs It Doesn't Matter and You're Too Expensive were very intriguing to me; the vocals sounded very much like Blondie whilst the riffs reminded me very much of Paramore, particularly You're Too Expensive which sound a bit like Misery Business. You Saved Me, the ballad of the album, was very beautifully written; it also had quite an impact on me too, it was quite sad sounding and I could empathise with what was being said....it made me cry. There was also a few tracks that had an indie dance feel too, I found that with Feeling The Itch; I was dancing in my seat on the train to this :P

Apart from the odd track I may grow to like eventually, this was I thought a truly unique album. We had punk rock and a bit of indie dance, I have not heard a band that can experiment with two types of music in one album before....so they earn my respect :D

I also want to say thanks to musician and good friend Lou for recommending this album :)

Stand out tracks:  You Saved Me, It Doesn't Matter and Would You?

2 comments: