Thursday 18 November 2010

The Hoosiers - The Illusions of Safety

I chose to review this album for our uni radio, for which I'm part of the music team. I decided to listen to it today and I was suprised; usually The Hoosiers wouldn't be my first choice of band to listen too but this album changed my mind. The opening track Choices I had heard before on the radio and it was the perfect choice (no pun intended), it was a great energy boost to keep me alert for a boring lecture at university. Through the song Who Said Anything About Falling In Love, I saw a more serious side to the band; I'm used to their happier side through songs such as Good Bye Mr A and Worried About Ray so this song suprised me the most and I loved that. Unlikely Hero reminded me of a night out in Reflex, which is an 80s themed nightclub in Southampton; it gave off a Duran Duran /A-ha vibe. Glorious reminded me of Queen's We Are The Champions, complete with the 80s synthesisers there was a hint of A-ha. Although songs Lover's In Head and Devil's In The Detail weren't as good as the rest of the songs on the album, even though I loved the Danny Elfman like intro for Devil's In The Details the main melody didn't flow for me.

Apart from those little things I loved the feel good 80s vibe behind the album, the songs were very catchy and that's always great too.

Stand Out Tracks:  Live By The Ocean, Giddy Up and Glorious

No comments:

Post a Comment