Saturday 6 November 2010

Fighting with Wire @ The Joiners, Southampton 5/11/10

My main intention yesterday at The Joiners was to see The Light Divided, I'm usually good with checking out the other bands before I go to a gig but this time didn't. In some ways I thought it was better, since I was suprised on how blown away I could be by bands I knew absoulutely nothing about.

Anyways, me and a friend arrived a little bit later then intended...well I suppose it's better than standing out in the freezing cold waiting to get in. We went in to see the opening band The Longest Day, I looked around and I saw some of the people singing along to their stuff and dancing, so I could tell they were quite popular in their local area. I could see why, they were very good at passing their energetic vibe to the audience of rockers including me, as I mentioned before I love bands who show energy and passion in their performance. These guys definately kept up the brilliant reputation of bands from Southern England. I got an EP too, which I shall listen to so expect to see a post about that soon.
Next to play were The Light Divided, now I had seen them before support New Device and loved their performance. I had also listened to their EP, so I was looking forward to some of their songs of the EP being performed. I found myself singing along to a very studio like sound of Bad Blood and my personal favourite on the EP Who We Are, I recognised the older ones they performed at a previous gig. They also looked like they were having fun on stage, smiling as they played for their fans who were either singing along or head banging to their tunes. I also liked the idea of guitarist Chris getting phone numbers from whoever enjoyed their performance to let them know when the next local gig is. They were also more than happy to sign things and pose for photos with fans.

http://www.myspace.com/thelightdivided

Belfast rockers More Than Conquerors were the main support band before Fighting With Wire, I was immediately hooked to their bouncy tunes that seemed lighthearted and mellow at first but then it started to turn into some intense heavy rock that you could just go plain crazy and mosh to. This was unexpected and I frickin loved that. Even though the mosh pit was small, I loved how lead singer Kris Platt got invloved in the action, I think he pushed me at one point :P Their set was just to EPIC for words, so I was wondering if Fighting With Wire were going to be as good as that. I signed up for their mailing list immediately and I bought an EP, which you should see a post about soon.


http://www.myspace.com/morethanconquerorsni

Last band along this epic line up of bands were headliners Fighting With Wire, I had only heard one song by them on MySpace that morning and liked what I heard. I also heard from others on how good they were so I was looking forward to it, I was not let down. For the first song the crowd immeditately started to go abosoulutely mental, I just love bands who can get the audience pumped up on the first few seconds of the opening song of the set, that is pure perfection for any band. I love their Foo Fighteresque melodies, riff and bouncy tunage that just leaves you feeling great, there was one brutal mosh pit after another. I personally love mosh pits, elbowing guys that are about twice your size it just makes you feel great, I'm suprised I didn't wake up with bruises today :P I look forward to listening to their album I bought last night too :D

http://www.myspace.com/fightingwithwire

Overall I loved the generally lively atmosphere for all the bands that played last night, this wasn't just for the bands but it was for the evening in general. In between bands it was great meeting lots of people including some of the bands, last night reminded me why The Joiners is my favourite music venue in Southampton. Unfortunately could not take as many photos of each band as I usually would....


NOTE TO SELF BRING SPARE BATTERY FOR CAMERA!!!! :P



No comments:

Post a Comment