Monday 22 November 2010

Black Label Society - Order Of The Black

I wanted to know what these guys sounded like since they'll be playing at Southampton Guildhall in February and they are from Roadrunner Records; there are some great rock bands under that label such as Black Stone Cherry, Slipknot!, Within Temptation and my personal favourites Nickelback.

The opening tracks Crazy Horse and Overlord were a great way to open this album with it's dirty grungy guitar riffs and Zakk Wylde's old school heavy metal vocal work, these songs had an Iron Madien/Rob Zombie vibe about them that I liked. The ballads of this album were very poweful too, particularly Shallow Grave where they used more piano and less guitar; sometimes it's nice to hear rock bands use acoustic instruments for their songs, it's a great thing when you want to just relax. Speaking of acoustic January and Chupacabra suprised me a great deal, particularly Chupacabra since the whole album up until then had been quite heavy with electric guitars and drums it then turns into Spanish Flamenco guitars playing. I love Spanish guitar music so this was a very nice suprise. January bought a tear to my eye with it's heartfelt lyrics and soft acoustic guitar, making it my personal favourite on the album.

After hearing this album I will be listening to their older songs to see if there is a difference in the sound.

Stand Out Tracks:  January, Overlord and God Speed Hellbound

No comments:

Post a Comment